Learning styles / handwriting / spelling

After viewing a comment by Alannah, a fellow 3100 student,  I started to wonder how all the learning styles are accommodated for in a digital world.

If you are a visual or audio learner, you are well coverted.

How does the kinaesthetic learner manage in a digital world?

Your views.

Further to this post, I wonder about handwriting skills and spelling strategies. Do we need these in a digital world where we can type almost everything and spell check reassures us our words are formed correctly. Corinne has posted on her page about the death of handwriting. Is this the case? Are we spending valuable teaching time on a skill that students may not need in their digital worlds. We do type almost everything and then we spell check it. Is spelling another obsolete skill still being taught?

And yes, just before I post this I will hit the ABC button to double check I have not made any spelling errors……

Published by

Jamie

I am a mature age student with 2 children aged 12 and 15. I have a wonderful, supportive husband who encourages me to continue with my passion to become a teacher. I also have a menagerie of animals and work as a teacher aide for an independent school in Brisbane.

7 thoughts on “Learning styles / handwriting / spelling”

1. I have often given this some thought too, and from my perspective it still perhaps can be integrated with some ‘learning by doing’ tools.
    I was recently watching a clip which i have just posted on my blog about teaching maths without words. Using the notions bought up in this clip such as interactive curriculum learning games with touch screens in conjunction with working in collaborative groups might be part of the answer.
    what do you think?
    Cheers Danielle

2. Hi Jamie,

Great post. When thinking of learners and how they manage in the digital world, I must admit I instantly thought of how the online environment was better suited to visual learners. However after a little bit of searching I found an article that discusses how kinaesthetic learners can be catered for. It never crossed my mind, but using drag and drop technology and using the mouse would appeal to these learners. Check out how to cater for kinaesthetic learners here: http://wikieducator.org/Facilitating_the_learning_process_of_kinesthetic_learners_in_the_online_environment

It is easier than I originally first thought.

Regards

Mrs Frintzilas

3. Keen to view the link you mention about teaching maths without words.
    Just checked your blog page but could not see it yet, will check again later.
    This site is great for maths too. I watched a Year 6 teacher use it last week to introduce algorithums with decimals.
    http://www.khanacademy.org/
    Once this was shown, the class completed some examples together and then worked individually at their own pace on set questions the teacher listed.
    It was also effective because the students were all able to see the IWB whereas when a teacher is writing examples on the board, it is difficult for them not to be physically in the way or line of sight of some of the students. It was a very effective lesson that not only incorporated ICT’s, it engaged the students and allowed each student to have a degree of success with the concept.Students are thenable to watch the links at home if they need to refresh their memory.

4. Thanks Kelly
    That site was very interesting – I assumed that kinaesthetic learning was far more physical than the site portrayed.
    Our thoughts and views need to continue to evolve in this digital world.
    Thanks for the insightful link.
    Jamie

5. Hi Jamie,
    You might be interested in an article I blogged about that surrounds the use of iPads for those with Special Educational Needs. I have linked you to my page
    Corinne