Books versus kindles, ipads and ebooks

Many of us have access to a variety of digital means for reading books such as a Kindle.

The readers cup challenges that many schools participate promote and encourage our students to engage further with reading.

What impact does our access to digital versions of books have on these activities?

Will these events still be a focus point in schools in the future?

I personally till love to hold a book and read rather than use my kindle. The kindle is handy when travelling but otherwise, I choose to use the old fashioned page turning method for reading.

I am a HUGE fan of picture books and incorporate them as often as possible in my role as a teacher aide and when on prac. I find that regardless of their age, kids still love to sit and listen to a story and like it even better when they can see pictures (even the big kids). Anthony Browne is my favourite children’s author. I also like David Miller and Colin Thompson.

This article¬†on Primary School Readers does mention using digital forms for reading, but I cannot help but wonder if and when the existence of libraries will be a thing of the past……

Do you think books and libraries will go the way of the dinosaur?

Who are your favourite children’s authors?

Can you recommend any fantastic must have books for a classroom?

Published by

Jamie

I am a mature age student with 2 children aged 12 and 15. I have a wonderful, supportive husband who encourages me to continue with my passion to become a teacher. I also have a menagerie of animals and work as a teacher aide for an independent school in Brisbane.

5 thoughts on “Books versus kindles, ipads and ebooks”

1. Hi Jamie,
    good question- will books go the way of the dinosaur? I wonder the same thing about libraries, though our local library is keeping up with the times offering internet access (not really new), and links for borrowing ebooks and resources.
    I am a bit like you in that I prefer to curl up with a good book. the iPad does not have the same comfort factor but then maybe that is a learned association?
    I still have so much to learn and I know the technology learning curve has climbed dramatically this semester but I still feel like a beginner when you look at the many options out there. Will a good book go the way of the dinosaur maybe but not for a very long time I think.
    Fawn http://fawnlawdavis.edublogs.org/

2. Sorry Jamie I pressed the wrong button! See I told you I still have so much to learn. The second part of your question about recommending good books for the classroom brings an enormous list to mind and again like you I use numerous books in the Early Childhood Centre regardless of which room I am in from the 0-2 to the 3-5’s.
    Favourites would have to be Handa’s Surprise and Handa’s Hen by Eileen Brown, The Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle, Where’s Mum by Libby Gleeson and Craig Smith, and a very new and very special book William-Wattely Smith by Wendy Law-Davis, and many many more. I will work on creating a list to share. Fawn