Tablet, laptop or ipad?

After being on prac at various schools, one thing that I have noticed is the wide variety of ICT tools used and the availability of ICT tools within the school system.

My most recent prac school has chosen to go with ipads as its tool of choice. They do have an IT lab with 30 computers available but almost every time I walk past, the room is empty. There are only two computers in each classroom. The teachers and aides have all been issued with an ipad. They have a full time elearning teacher who runs classes as required. The class I have been with as just created tellagami characters and QR codes on their ipads.

This article discusses the advantages and disadvantages of using ipads in the classroom.

The school where I work as an aide has individual 1:1 laptop roll outs occurring.

My sons school let the kids bring in their own devices, he has a tablet.

What do you favour?

Published by

Jamie

I am a mature age student with 2 children aged 12 and 15. I have a wonderful, supportive husband who encourages me to continue with my passion to become a teacher. I also have a menagerie of animals and work as a teacher aide for an independent school in Brisbane.

3 thoughts on “Tablet, laptop or ipad?”

1. The school I was at had no computers in the room or i pads. Every Friday computers can be booked for an hour. No internet is allowed and they just play games on them. I would have loved if the children had i pads. I think they would be great within a classroom for some lessons but not all of them. I think young children need to learn the art of hand writing. The i pads would just be used to enhance their interests to learn, I don’t know much about tablets.